Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Decrepit Usurper: Fallout 3 Evil Character Playthru

The Fallout series is groundbreaking. My favorite game series since Final Fantasy. I'm fucking itching for Fallout 4. Itching. Itchy. Tasty.

Resident Evil 6 going to black screen of death on my PS3. No good. Must get Capcom to fix. Have to play Fallout 3 now after kids go to bed.

Spoilers for those who haven't played follow.



So I'm playing Fallout 3 for the jajakaplillionth time (4th) and I've dedicated myself to being an evil character. It's been hard. Usually I have conscience pangs when I fuck with people of the Wasteland, but this time I've come to relish it. The slaving, the butchery, the cannibalism, the evil companions Jericho and Clover—it's all awesome.

And I'm really enjoying it because it makes for a new game experience within the world I've grown quite familiar with.

On that note, I'm noticing how this game's storyline ties into past Fallout titles (1 and 2). I'm picking up on the references when they appear. People talk about Mariposa Military Base and Arroyo a lot. The Master and his super mutant army. The mysterious Vault Dweller and his progeny. Since the first two Fallout titles took place on the west coast, all the references come from the California area.

For example, Los Angeles has become what is known as The Boneyard—a vast sea of abandoned, destroyed cityscape. Except for the monsters. I've learned all this from just checking out the Fallout Wiki and from in-game references. And Fallout 3 is the first title to take the game out east, to the Maryland and Washington, D.C. area. So that's fucking awesome.

r/Fallout has been a continuing source of inspiration. There's fan fiction, alternate story lines, theories about the Lone Wanderer being The Courier, cosplay, fucking so much Fallout dorkiness. My kind of place. Needless to say, the Fallout subReddit has also really helped me familiarize myself with the Fallout universe.

In Fallout 3, super mutants have overrun downtown D.C., and the Brotherhood of Steel is spending all their resources fighting them, and all they can do is contain the threat.

Which is funny, because I could go in there right now with my ten or so missile launchers and a bunch of Alien Epoxy and wipe them all out in like, one hour.

... Liberty Prime, will be the very embodiment of American military might -- a walking, talking, nuke-tossing hero who will remind the world what it means to be a super power.

I am fully confident that the presence of Liberty Prime at the Anchorage Front line will be to the Chinese what the Hiroshima bomb was to the Japanese in 1945.

General Constantine Chase
     -Citadel System Link 39L, Liberty Prime Operations terminal, Historical Records, Project Summary

Now an evil character like me—I could get into Liberty Prime. But you know, I'm probably going to want to go from where I am now (James just died and I'm in the Brotherhood of Steel's Citadel), after I loot the Brotherhood for all they've got of course, fucking pampered Wasteland assholes, and just go ahead and side with the Enclave and poison the waters and all that. Get rid of all mutation. It's for the best, don't you see. Complete cleansing. No mistakes. No hurdles. Just a clean slate.

Don't you see. The final solution.

Evil character. Fallout 3. It is in your hands.

Wow, this Liberty Prime Operations terminal has a lot of good information. It confirms that Dr. Stanislav Braun had taken his subjects into Tranquility Lane before the war even started. It's got a lot of General Constantine Chase material, like newspaper coverage of his press conference for the unveiling of the fact that the U.S. was developing a weapon, without giving away what it actually is.

Project lead Dr. Stanley Bloomfeld's report to Chase tells of the difficulty his designers experienced finding " ... a power source small enough, and powerful enough, to get the damn thing running with all its systems online."

The report concludes: "In three months we might be able to guarantee the robot can walk into downtown Anchorage, but all of his weapons systems will be OFFLINE. Maybe he can just step on the Red Chinese?"

Man, I haven't even gone thru all the diagnostic reports.

I am such a fucking NERD! And you know what I was going to do before this? Walk around and see what kind of conversations all the characters in this big Liberty Prime room in the Citadel were going to have with one another!

I pissed Scribe Rothchild off hardcore when I told her dad "died as he lived, a selfish asshole." Felt good. Gonna get power armor training from these bitches and fucking blow the Citadel up. Ka-boom. Bye-bye.

I did save Megaton from the bomb, though--ONLY because the Megaton house is the superior house to Tenpenny Tower's apartment, which simply takes longer to get into and not faster to get out of and fast travel from. And time is of the essence in this game—I can play this shit for fucking... I don't even want to say how long.

Wow, you can make Liberty Prime talk from his standing post in the Citadel. "Better dead than Red." Well all right, then. Hm, what happens if I choose the Initiate Activation Sequence?

Failure. Not enough power. Oh, that reminds me, better put on my Dirty Chinese Jumpsuit and Chinese Commando Hat. Ha haa, you like that, Brotherhood idiots? No, no you don't care. That war's long over.

Ahh, Scribe Bowditch informs me that the Pentagon became what is now the Citadel. That explains why there's so much there, like a library, lab, etc, and lots of data terminals. One has a pre-war report about first contact with the aliens shortly before the war. Pretty cool.

I'll post more soon, with pictures of my character to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment